Skip to main content
At the royal college of Physicians
and surgeons of Glasgow

Advanced Search

Back Details
Home > Museum and Artwork > Valve tube

Dublin Core

Title

Valve tube

Description

Valve tubes were put in circuit with x-ray tubes of the gas type to suppress the harmful inverse current which was liable to occur with induction coils.
Used in the Radiology Department of the Glasgow Royal Infirmary. Glasgow was the first city in the world to have an official radiology unit in a hospital, set up by physician and engineer, Dr John Macintyre. After the discovery of X-radiation by Wilhelm Roentgen in 1895, Macintyre demonstrated the use of X-rays in medicine and went on to set up the radiology department of the Glasgow Royal Infirmary in 1896.

Creator

Philips X-rays Ltd.

Date

c. 1896?

Identifier

2018.11.8

Valve tube

Files

xray tube 4.3.jpg
xray tube 4.6.jpg
xray tube 4.11.jpg

Collection

Citation

Philips X-rays Ltd. , “Valve tube,” Heritage, accessed December 18, 2018, https://heritage.rcpsg.ac.uk/items/show/73.