Skip to main content
At the royal college of Physicians
and surgeons of Glasgow

Advanced Search

Back Details
Home > Museum and Artwork > Heavy current x-ray tube

Dublin Core

Title

Heavy current x-ray tube

Description

Pictured here is an X-ray tube originally from the Radiology Department of the Glasgow Royal Infirmary. Glasgow was the first city in the world to have an official radiology unity in a hospital, set up by physician and engineer, Dr John Macintyre.
After the discovery of X-radiation by Wilhelm Roentgen in 1895, Macintyre demonstrated the use of X-rays in medicine and went on to set up the radiology department of the Glasgow Royal Infirmary in 1896.

Creator

Unknown

Date

c. 1920s

Identifier

2018.11.4

Heavy current x-ray tube

Files

xray tube 7.17.jpg
xray tube 7.14.jpg
xray tube 7.6.jpg

Collection

Citation

Unknown, “Heavy current x-ray tube,” Heritage, accessed December 19, 2018, https://heritage.rcpsg.ac.uk/items/show/76.