Home > Visualising Medical Heritage > Xrays in Glasgow
Xrays in Glasgow
In 1896, John Macintyre set up the first radiology department in the world at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary. Only months before had x-radiation been discovered by Wilhelm Roentgen. At this time, Macintyre was employed by Glasgow Royal infirmary as their Medical Electrician and he very quickly grasped the significance of the discovery – In March 1896, only a few months after the discovery of x-rays, Macintyre obtained permission from the hospital managers to establish an x-ray laboratory, creating the first x-ray unit in the world to provide a service to patients.