Home > Museum and Artwork > Valve tube
Valve tubes were put in circuit with x-ray tubes of the gas type to suppress the harmful inverse current which was liable to occur with induction coils.
Used in the Radiology Department of the Glasgow Royal Infirmary. Glasgow was the first city in the world to have an official radiology unit in a hospital, set up by physician and engineer, Dr John Macintyre. After the discovery of X-radiation by Wilhelm Roentgen in 1895, Macintyre demonstrated the use of X-rays in medicine and went on to set up the radiology department of the Glasgow Royal Infirmary in 1896.