Skip to main content
At the royal college of Physicians
and surgeons of Glasgow

Advanced Search

Back Details
Home > No Collection > Glasgow Apothecaries Company; 1805-1919

Dublin Core

Title

Glasgow Apothecaries Company; 1805-1919

Description

aka Glasgow Apothecaries' Hall

Relation

Name authority Item Type Metadata

Corporate Name

Glasgow Apothecaries Company

Dates active

1805-1919

Other sources

Glasgow Apothecaries Company. 1905. Centenary, 1805-1905. Glasgow: Citizen Press. (Pamphlets: Glasgow, v. 10: item 6)
Johanna Geyer-Kordesch and Fiona MacDonald. 1999. Physicians and Surgeons in Glasgow: The History of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, 1599-1858. London: Hambledon Press. (Reading Room WZ 23 GEY)
Lesley Richmond et al (eds). 2017. The Pharmaceutical Industry: A Guide to Historical Records. Routledge

Biographical Text

"This company 'was formed in 1805 by a number of medical men entering into partnership for the purpose of getting their prescriptions properly dispensed'. The Apothecaries' Hall was opened in Wilson's Court, 29 Argyll Street, but as it soon evolved into a retailing business and moved in 1810 to one of the old mansions in Virginia Street." (Geyer-Kordesch & MacDonald, p. 248)
"In 1919 [T & H Smith Ltd] acquired the business of Glasgow Apothecaries Co, which had been established at Virginia Street, Glasgow, in 1805, by a group of general practitioners who wished to establish an efficient dispensary for their prescribed drugs. Shortly afterwards, Glasgow Apothecaries Co began distributing wholesale to retail druggists." (Richmond et al)

Glasgow Apothecaries Company; 1805-1919

Name authority Item Type Metadata

Corporate Name

Glasgow Apothecaries Company

Dates active

1805-1919

Other sources

Glasgow Apothecaries Company. 1905. Centenary, 1805-1905. Glasgow: Citizen Press. (Pamphlets: Glasgow, v. 10: item 6)
Johanna Geyer-Kordesch and Fiona MacDonald. 1999. Physicians and Surgeons in Glasgow: The History of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, 1599-1858. London: Hambledon Press. (Reading Room WZ 23 GEY)
Lesley Richmond et al (eds). 2017. The Pharmaceutical Industry: A Guide to Historical Records. Routledge

Biographical Text

"This company 'was formed in 1805 by a number of medical men entering into partnership for the purpose of getting their prescriptions properly dispensed'. The Apothecaries' Hall was opened in Wilson's Court, 29 Argyll Street, but as it soon evolved into a retailing business and moved in 1810 to one of the old mansions in Virginia Street." (Geyer-Kordesch & MacDonald, p. 248)
"In 1919 [T & H Smith Ltd] acquired the business of Glasgow Apothecaries Co, which had been established at Virginia Street, Glasgow, in 1805, by a group of general practitioners who wished to establish an efficient dispensary for their prescribed drugs. Shortly afterwards, Glasgow Apothecaries Co began distributing wholesale to retail druggists." (Richmond et al)

Citation

“Glasgow Apothecaries Company; 1805-1919,” Heritage, accessed May 26, 2019, https://heritage.rcpsg.ac.uk/items/show/821.