Schotz was born on the 28th August 1891 in Arensburg, Estonia, and died on the 11th October 1984 in Glasgow. He studied at the Technical University of Darmstadt, and in 1912 he emigrated to Glasgow where he gained a diploma in engineering at the Royal Technical College. From 1914-1923 he worked in the drawing office at John Brown and Company, a Clydebank shipbuilders, while attending evening classes in sculpture at Glasgow School of Art. He exhibited his sculptures at the Royal Glasgow Institute of Fine Arts in 1917, and in 1920 he became President of the Society of Sculptors and Painters, Glasgow. He became a professional sculptor in 1923, and eventually became a member of the Royal Scottish Academy and head of sculpture at Glasgow School of Art; a post which he held from 1938-1961. In 1963 he was appointed Sculptor in Ordinary for Scotland. He was also a member of Glasgow Art Club.