Skip to main content
At the royal college of Physicians
and surgeons of Glasgow

Advanced Search

Search Results

Browse (13 items)

Your
  • Tags: Glasgow Eye Infirmary

eye_1.jpg

Details

Dublin Core

Title

Photograph of old Glasgow Eye Infirmary sign

Description

Photograph showing remnants of a sign for the Glasgow Eye Infirmary at Sandyford Place.

Creator

Kirsty Earley

Date

c. 2021

Description

Photograph showing remnants of a sign for the Glasgow Eye Infirmary at Sandyford Place.

dog_collar.jpg

Details

Dublin Core

Title

3D Scan of Dog Collar

Description

c.1883

Dog collar that once belonged to Sankel of the Glasgow Eye Infirmary, part of the museum collection of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow. Sankel would go around the pubs of Glasgow and perform tricks to earn money for the Eye Infirmary.

Description

c.1883

Dog collar that once belonged to Sankel of the Glasgow Eye Infirmary, part of the museum collection of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow. Sankel would go around the pubs of Glasgow and perform tricks to earn money for the Eye Infirmary.

2003.77.26_cup_1.jpg

Details

Dublin Core

Title

Decorative Cup

Description

Decorative cup to commemorate the centenary of the Glasgow Eye Infirmary, 1824-1924.

Date

c. 1924

Identifier

2003/77.26

Physical Object Item Type Metadata

Physical Dimensions

Height: 14.5 cm

Materials

Brass, enamel.

Description

Decorative cup to commemorate the centenary of the Glasgow Eye Infirmary, 1824-1924.

2003.77.70.2_howat bed_2.jpg

Details

Dublin Core

Title

Glasgow Eye Infirmary sign

Description

Sign from the Glasgow Eye Infirmary, c 1920s-c 1930s.

Date

c 1920s-c 1930s.

Identifier

2003/77.70.2

Physical Object Item Type Metadata

Physical Dimensions

Length: 22.8 cm

Materials

Plastic

Description

Sign from the Glasgow Eye Infirmary, c 1920s-c 1930s.

2003.77.70.5_independent church sign_2.jpg

Details

Dublin Core

Title

Glasgow Eye Infirmary sign

Description

Sign placed above a bed or cot which had been endowed by a donor prior to the introduction of the National Health Service.

Date

c. 1933

Identifier

2003/77.70.5

Physical Object Item Type Metadata

Physical Dimensions

Length: 17.7 cm

Materials

Metal

Description

Sign placed above a bed or cot which had been endowed by a donor prior to the introduction of the National Health Service.

2003.77.70.4_bed sign_2.jpg

Details

Dublin Core

Title

Glasgow Eye Infirmary sign

Description

Sign placed above a bed or cot which had been endowed by a donor prior to the introduction of the National Health Service.

Date

c. 1922

Identifier

2003/77.70.4

Physical Object Item Type Metadata

Physical Dimensions

Length: 26.4 cm

Materials

Metal

Description

Sign placed above a bed or cot which had been endowed by a donor prior to the introduction of the National Health Service.

2003.77.70.7_matron sign_2.jpg

Details

Dublin Core

Title

Glasgow Eye Infirmary sign

Description

Sign from the Glasgow Eye Infirmary, c 1920s-c 1930s.

Date

c 1920s-c 1930s

Identifier

2003/77.70.7

Physical Object Item Type Metadata

Physical Dimensions

Length: 27.6 cm

Materials

Enamel, metal.

Description

Sign from the Glasgow Eye Infirmary, c 1920s-c 1930s.

Glasgow Eye Infirmary - Copy.jpg

Details

Dublin Core

Title

Glasgow Eye Infirmary poster drawing

Description

Framed poster drawing, probably by William Campbell Nicolson, published between 1927 and 1937 and used to raise funds for the Glasgow Eye Infirmary. It was found at a jumble sale by Denis Rice of the University of Leicester, who passed it on to the Eye Infirmary. A letter to this effect, dated 1981, is included in the frame.

Creator

William Campbell Nicolson

Date

c 1927-c 1937

Identifier

2003/77.60

Physical Object Item Type Metadata

Physical Dimensions

Length: 31.8 cm

Materials

Glass, paper, wood.

Description

Framed poster drawing, probably by William Campbell Nicolson, published between 1927 and 1937 and used to raise funds for the Glasgow Eye Infirmary. It was found at a jumble sale by Denis Rice of the University of Leicester, who passed it on to the Eye Infirmary. A letter to this effect, dated 1981, is included in the frame.

1-12-1-3_Andrew Anderson.jpg

Details

Dublin Core

Title

Andrew Anderson

Description

Photographic portrait of Dr Andrew Anderson, MD FFPSG, consulting surgeon at the Glasgow Eye Infirmary and former president of RCPSG (1868-1870)

Date

c. 1870

Identifier

RCPSG 1/12/1/3

Description

Photographic portrait of Dr Andrew Anderson, MD FFPSG, consulting surgeon at the Glasgow Eye Infirmary and former president of RCPSG (1868-1870)

GLA_RCPG_PCF_7.jpg

Details

Dublin Core

Title

Portrait of William Mackenzie 1791-1868

Description

Seated three-quarter length in robes.
William Mackenzie was born and educated in Glasgow and. After a period spent travelling and studying on the continent and in London between 1815 and 1819 he returned again to Glasgow, dividing his time between general practice and lecturing on medical subjects in Anderson’s College.

In 1824 he co-founded the Glasgow Eye Infirmary and also became the first editor of the Glasgow Medical Journal. His “Treatise on Diseases of the Eye”, published in 1830, was a standard textbook on the subject for over 20 years until the invention of the ophthalmoscope radically changed the practice of ophthalmology. He served as surgeon-oculist to Queen Victoria and would have been President of the Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons, but declined his election to this office on health grounds.

This portrait was presented to the Faculty by Mackenzie's widow in 1884, and his extensive library, including works in several languages on ophthalmology and general surgery, was later donated to the Faculty by his son.

Creator

John Horsburgh (Ewan Mundy 1993): A.Keith (Gibson 1983)

Date

19th century

Identifier

96

Physical Object Item Type Metadata

Physical Dimensions

111 x 85 cm

Materials

Oil on canvas

Description

Seated three-quarter length in robes.

001.jpg

Details

Dublin Core

Title

Atlas Der Ophthalmoscopie

Description

Atlas der ophthalmoscopie : darstellung des augengrundes im gesunden und krankhaften zustande enthaltend 12 tafeln mit 59 figuren in farbendruck. Nach der natur gemalt und erläutert / von Dr. Richard Liebreich.

This book came to the College from the library of the Glasgow Eye Infirmary, having previously belonged to Andrew Freeland Fergus, ophthalmologist and former President of the Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow. It was in quite poor condition when it was scanned - the binding had all but fallen apart, and this allowed us to get better pictures of each page. Once scanning was complete it was sent away for conservation. The book has recently returned from the conservator's workshop; it's now housed in a lovely new binding and stored alongside our rare book collections.

Richard Liebreich (1830-1917) was a German ophthalmologist and physiologist. In addition to this volume, the College library holds a similar atlas from 1863 and a short pamphlet.

Creator

Liebreich, Richard, 1830-1917

Date

1885

Identifier

Bookstore LIE [folio]

Publisher

August Hirschwald

Coverage

Berlin

Language

German

Text Item Type Metadata

Original Format

print volume

Description

Atlas der ophthalmoscopie : darstellung des augengrundes im gesunden und krankhaften zustande enthaltend 12 tafeln mit 59 figuren in farbendruck. Nach der natur gemalt und erläutert / von Dr. Richard Liebreich.

2003.77.51_eye infirmary nursing badge 5.jpg

Details

Dublin Core

Title

Glasgow Eye Infirmary School of Nursing Badge

Description

Glasgow Eye Infirmary School of Nursing badge, enamel and metal, c 1960s.

The Glasgow Eye Infirmary was founded in 1824. In 1874 it moved into purpose built accommodation in the West End of Glasgow at Berkeley St which, by the late 1880s, had over 100 beds. The Infirmary continued to run an outpatients department in the East End. In 1945 the Spencer Research Committee was formed with capital of over £12,000, to oversee research in the GEI. In 1971 the entire in-patient accommodation at Berkeley St was destroyed by fire. From 1948 to 1974 the Glasgow Eye Infirmary was under the Board of Management for Glasgow Western (later Western and Gartnavel) Hospitals. In 1974 it was placed in the Western District of the Greater Glasgow Health Board and in 1993 it became the responsibility of the West Glasgow University NHS Trust. It was transferred to Gartnavel Hospital in 1998.

Creator

Unknown

Date

c. 1960s

Identifier

2003/77.51

Physical Object Item Type Metadata

Physical Dimensions

Length: 3.2 cm

Materials

Enamel and metal.

Description

Glasgow Eye Infirmary School of Nursing badge, enamel and metal, c 1960s.

The Glasgow Eye Infirmary was founded in 1824. In 1874 it moved into purpose built accommodation in the West End of Glasgow at Berkeley St which, by the late 1880s, had over 100 beds. The Infirmary continued to run an outpatients department in the East End. In 1945 the Spencer Research Committee was formed with capital of over £12,000, to oversee research in the GEI. In 1971 the entire in-patient accommodation at Berkeley St was destroyed by fire. From 1948 to 1974 the Glasgow Eye Infirmary was under the Board of Management for Glasgow Western (later Western and Gartnavel) Hospitals. In 1974 it was placed in the Western District of the Greater Glasgow Health Board and in 1993 it became the responsibility of the West Glasgow University NHS Trust. It was transferred to Gartnavel Hospital in 1998.

2003.77.41_Sankel's dog collar 7.jpg

Details

Dublin Core

Title

Sankel's Dog Collar

Description

Sankel was a dog who wore this collar to which was attached a collecting box for the Glasgow Eye Infirmary. He performed various tricks in public houses around Charlotte Street.

The collar is inscribed with the following words: "Subscribed by a few friends and handed over to the Eye Infirmary to present to the dog Sankel for his clever performance and likewise contribution towards that institution. 1883. John Caldwell, 28 Charlotte St, Glasgow."

Date

c. 1883

Identifier

2003/77.41

Physical Object Item Type Metadata

Physical Dimensions

Diameter: 14.5 cm

Materials

Leather; metal

Description

Sankel was a dog who wore this collar to which was attached a collecting box for the Glasgow Eye Infirmary. He performed various tricks in public houses around Charlotte Street.

The collar is inscribed with the following words: "Subscribed by a few friends and handed over to the Eye Infirmary to present to the dog Sankel for his clever performance and likewise contribution towards that institution. 1883. John Caldwell, 28 Charlotte St, Glasgow."

Search Again

Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2