Dates of Creation of Material: 1963-1981
Extent: 0.12 linear metres
Mrs Margaret Williamson Menzies Campbell, nee Shirlaw (1893-1990), studied medicine at St Andrews University, graduating there in 1918. She then practised for a while in Glasgow. She married John Menzies Campbell, dental historian and collector, and worked in partnership with him, continuing his work after his death in 1974. She was the first woman to be granted a Dental Fellowship by the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 1977 and endowed a series of lectures on the history of Dentistry in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dundee. She wrote, ‘A History of the Redlands: Glasgow Women’s Private Hospital.’ (1981).
Scope and Content:
Talks and lectures given by Mrs Menzies Campbell, 1976-1981; material relating to the Menzies Campbell collection including an article written by Dr J Menzies Campbell and notes on some of the pictures in the collection, 1963-1964; lists relating to the Menzies Campbell collection of odontological advertisements including lists of dentists in Edinburgh from 1773 to 1850, advertisements for lectures, advertisements for apprentices, assistants, mechanics and pupils, undated; miscellaneous material including a photograph of Margaret W Menzies Campbell and articles written by Margaret W Menzies Campbell, 1948-1981.
Source and date of acquisition: Unknown.
Date of Description: Listed by Carol Parry, 1996